Ingredients for making sauerkraut with beets
- White cabbage 1 fork (weight 1 kilogram)
- Beets 2-3 pieces (weight 300 grams)
- Large stone salt (without iodine) 1 tablespoon (25 grams)
- Purified water (raw) 100-200 milliliters
- Main Ingredients: Cabbage, Beets
- Serving 1 serving
- World Cuisine
Kitchen scales, kitchen knife, cutting board - 2 pieces, grater, paper kitchen towels, deep enameled pan (capacity 4 liters), flat plate, oppression, two-liter glass jar, wooden kitchen spatula, plastic or metal screw lid, refrigerator, salad bowl.
Cooking sauerkraut with beets:
Step 1: prepare the ingredients.
Unlike other recipes for this dish, I liked this one because it is very simple, it is cooked without marinade, it also uses a minimum of products and there are no spices that can be added before serving. Therefore, such a leaven turns out to be classical, with only its characteristic aroma and taste, as grandmothers who know a lot about marinades and pickles have been doing it for many years. So, first we remove the upper, almost always damaged leaves from a small fork of white cabbage. Then we wash it under the trickles of cold running water, dry it with paper kitchen towels, put it on a cutting board and use a sharp kitchen knife to chop the straws from 5 millimeters to 1 centimeter thick or up to 2 centimeters squares, which one likes what shape and size.
Then with a clean knife, remove a thin layer of the skin from the beetroot, wash this vegetable as well, dry it and grind it on a new board on a medium or large grater. Then we put the rest of the necessary ingredients on the countertop and proceed to the next step.
Step 2: prepare sauerkraut with beets.
We put chopped cabbage, beets in a deep, preferably enameled pan or bowl, pour in the right amount of salt and pour purified water, which is added only at the beginning of the process, until the vegetables have started the juice. With clean hands, mix everything to a homogeneous consistency, slightly squeezing palms.
We do not overdo it strongly, otherwise the pickle will not turn out to be crispy, just slightly crunch, so that the mixture becomes a little softer. After that, we press the entire contents of the bowl to the bottom, cover it with a plate or a lid, turned upside down, and put oppression on top of it, for example, a three-liter bottle of water or something else, at your discretion. We send the resulting structure to a warm place, for example, leave in the kitchen and kvasim cabbage for 2 days, piercing it through every 12 hours the back of a wooden spatula or spoonto release accumulating gas.
After this time, we move the workpiece into a clean, optionally sterilized jar, put it on a tray or in a deep bowl, because liquid will flow out during the fermentation process and kept at room temperature 1-2 more daysperiodically releasing air. The duration of the infusion depends on your desire, you can try pickles on the third day of infusion and finish the fermentation, if the taste suits.
When the cabbage is ready, close the jar with a tight-fitting lid and put it in a cold place, the best option is a basement, cellar or refrigerator.
Step 3: serve sauerkraut with beets.
Sauerkraut with beets is stored in a clean glass or enamel container in a cool place so that the fermentation process does not resume, and is used as needed. It can be served in a salad bowl or in portions on plates, pre-seasoned with vegetable oil and optionally fresh onions or green onions, garlic, coriander, dried dill, parsley or ground laurel leaves.
This preparation is a great addition to the first and second main dishes, and you can also make various other goodies from it, for example, stew with sausage or meat, boil hodgepodge, cabbage soup, stew, sculpt dumplings and bake pies with kulebyaki. Cook with pleasure and enjoy delicious food!
Enjoy your meal!
- very often, some housewives fill the cabbage with boiled and chilled water or boil the marinade with salt, laurel leaves, black pepper, peas, mix rammed vegetables with hot brine and only after that start the fermentation;
- to the above vegetables, you can add a couple of fresh medium-sized carrots. Sometimes some gourmets are mixed with cabbage and beet berries, cranberries, cranberries. Or they add apples or plums, salted or pickled mushrooms, sweet peppers, celery, as well as spices such as cumin, hot red pepper, cloves, horseradish and many others. Of course, you can’t use everything at once, each of these ingredients individually gives the leaven its own peculiar aftertaste, but you can experiment;
- Late and middle varieties of cabbage are suitable for salting, they are more dense and also crispy - ideal for harvesting;
- it is better to prepare pickles in enameled, clay or glassware, but it is better not to use aluminum, tin or galvanized containers, it is highly oxidized, which can lead to spoilage of products or, in the worst case, poisoning;
- in order to protect themselves from harmful bacteria, some professionals advise lubricating the inside walls of the selected container with a thin layer of honey, vegetable oil, vinegar or alcohol before souring.