Ingredients for Making Homemade Sugar Marshmallows
- Granulated sugar 4 cups
- Purified water 1 cup for syrup and 100 milliliters for gelatin
- Baking soda 0.5 teaspoon
- Citric acid 0.5 or 1 teaspoon
- Instant gelatin 2 tablespoons with a slide (30 grams)
- Icing sugar 1 packet per 100 grams or as needed
- Main Ingredients
- Serving 6 servings
- World Cuisine
Glass (capacity 250 milliliters), Tablespoon, Teaspoon, Measuring cup, Plate, Bowl, Stewpan, Mixer with bowl, Silicone cupcake baking dish (hearts), Plastic wrap, Fine mesh sieve, Refrigerator, Baking sheet, Parchment paper , Dessert plate, Paper cups (optional)
Making homemade sugar marshmallows:
Step 1: prepare the gelatin.
First, open the bag of gelatin and pour the granules into a small bowl. Pour 100 milliliters of purified cold water there. Mix everything with a tablespoon to a homogeneous consistency and set aside. We give gelatin time to swell, that's enough 15-20 minutes.
Step 2: prepare sugar syrup.
After some time, put in the small saucepan the right amount of granulated sugar, fill it with the remaining water and put on medium heat.
We arm ourselves with a tablespoon and prepare sugar syrup, stirring constantly, so as not to burn. As soon as the slightly viscous liquid boils, boil it evenly 3 minutes.
Then add the real gelatin, mix again, keep everything on the stove for another minute, remove from heat and cool slightly.
Step 3: beat the marshmallows.
After this, pour the syrup into a clean and dry bowl of the mixer. Whip it 5 minutes at high speed. Then add citric acid, baking soda there and mix again for 5 minutes.
Then turn off the kitchen appliance, let the resulting mixture rest 3-4 minutes and whisk again at medium speed, for the last time it’s enough 12-15 minutes. Throughout the process, you will see how the transparent syrup from sugar and gelatin gradually thickens and takes on a denser snow-white structure.
Step 4: bring the dessert to full readiness.
Then, using a fine-mesh sieve, we crush the cells of the silicone form with a thin layer of powdered sugar and pour the liquid marshmallow on it, which is still liquid.
Leave it at room temperature for a couple of hours to cool completely. The loan is tightened with plastic wrap and sent to the refrigerator until completely solidified.
When the surface of the sweets becomes dry enough and does not stick to your hands, we spread the resulting products on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and dry them at room temperature minimum 12, maximum 48 hours.
Step 5: serve homemade sugar marshmallows.
Homemade sugar marshmallows served at room temperature. It is served on dessert vases or plates along with tea, coffee, warm milk, cocoa or sweet and sour juices from fruits or berries.
Tasty and inexpensive! Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- sometimes the forms are not sprinkled with powder, but simply lubricated with melted butter;
- very often, during whipping, add vanilla on the tip of a knife, a pinch of cinnamon, liquid vanilla, fruit or berry extract to a liquid marshmallow;
- an excellent substitute for gelatin - agar-agar;
- home-made marshmallows are stored in the refrigerator for 6-7 days, pre-packed in a plastic sealed container or bag;
- Do not overdo the gelatin on the stove, it can not be boiled, this product loses its astringent properties;
- The amount of citric acid can be adjusted to taste.